“I hope your internship lands you the affair of your dreams.”– Anonymous
The above quote has a very deep meaning which shows your career and your dreams. Really internship is an important part of a student’s life. As this is the first step in any person’s life towards his or her career. So this is really very essential in everyone’s life. Before starting further first we should know that What is Internship? Internship is a professional learning experience and a temporary job generally provided to students so that they can gain real time work experience in the field of study or career interest. It is generally for a limited period of time. These internships are generally undertaken by students and graduates who are looking to gain relevant skills and experience in a particular field. It provides them the opportunity for career exploration and development and helps in deciding them whether they are liking the job or not. As it is said by Confucius –
“Choose the job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
Internship also helps the organisation and employer too as it gives the opportunity to bring new ideas and energy into the workplace, a new blood enters into the organisation with new opinions, develop talent and builds a path for future full-time employees if they work hard with dedication and commitment. As we know that internship is for a short duration. It can be as short as a week or as long as 12 months. Internship can be paid or voluntary. Internship can be done in the following sectors like sales, marketing, engineering, management, IT, etc. The internship helps in developing a variety of skills like communication skills, presentation skills, problem solving and influencing skills. In today’s scenario, more emphasis is given on theoretical knowledge rather than practical knowledge. But implementing these theoretical knowledge in practical field is more important and impactful. So these ‘On-the-Job’ experience can be as valuable as anything learned in your studies. As we cannot really understand what a job is unless and until we have worked in that environment. Internship provides you a platform so that you can confirm if this is what you want to do in the long term. In simple language it acts as a ‘ try before you buy ‘ option. An internship can be used to create a professional network that can assist with letter of recommendation or lead to future employment opportunities. The benefit of bringing an intern into full-time employment is that they are already familiar with the company, its culture, work – environment, position and they require little to no training. Internship has many benefits and they are:-
- It provides the students with professional work experience with the help from experts. Generally, an intern works under the guidance of worksite mentors. He is the one who will train a student that how he has to work.
- Internship helps a student to practice and improve their skills as it helps in providing a practical exposure in your desired field.
- It helps students to master in soft skills like communication, time management, etc. As these are the skills which acts as a key to success.
- Internship acts as a confidence builder for a student. As we have a tendency of forgetting things which we have studied but the things which we do practically has a very deep impact as this helps in raising our confidence level.
- Through internship students can learn the roles and responsibilities of a particular career in which they are interested.
- If an intern completes his or her internship successfully and according to the expectation of employer. This makes the candidates more attractive to employer. This is because many interns have acquired good work habits, excellent soft skills and have higher technical and industry skills due to this internship.
So lastly through this internship students not only learn new things and new skills but also get to know how the things work. So, the best way of learning about anything is by doing as said by Richard Branson.