WHAT DOES IT MEAN BY DEMOCRACY: A form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
TYPES OF DEMOCRACY:
Generally there are two types of democracy: direct and representative.
In a direct democracy, the people directly deliberate and decide on legislature.
In a representative democracy, the people elect representatives to deliberate and decide on legislature, such as in parliamentary or presidential democracy.
KEY ELEMENTS OF DEMOCRACY:
According to American political scientist Larry Diamond, democracy consists of four key elements:
• A political system for choosing and replacing the government through free and fair elections.
• The active participation of the people, as citizens, in politics and civic life.
• Protection of the human rights of all citizens.
• A rule of law, in which the laws and procedures apply equally to all citizens.
CHARACTERISTICS OF DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT :
• Citizen Rule– citizens have the power to decide who will be the decision makers that run the government.
• Majority Rule and Minority Rights- as we know that there are minority and majority in a country so in democratic country there is some rules for majority and some rights for minority.
• Individual Rights- apart from the minority rights ,in democratic country there are human rights also exists.
• Free and Fair Elections- there is free and fair elections held in democratic country to choose the government.
• Citizen Participation- in election every citizen who is eligible to vote cast the vote for choosing a government for the country.
• Cooperation and Compromise- there is always a cooperation and some compromise in a democratic country. Because if there will be no cooperation and compromise then there conflicts will rise..